Mobile Pallet Racking
Mobile racking systems are a little different to most commercial racking solutions, as instead of being secured to the warehouse floor, the racks are mounted to electronically-powered mobile bases. These bases – often referred to as ‘bogies’ – run on special hot-rolled cast steel rails, which are securely attached to the concrete slab.
Each bogie is fitted with four direct-drive, low torque, high inertia motors that work to ensure an even and uniform drive. The bogies also feature structural protection devices to absorb any accidental impacts from forklifts. These protection devices also ensure the bogies protect the base and power cables, while also keeping the wheel units aligned correctly and moving in the same direction.
Safety Features of our Mobile Racking Systems
Our mobile racking systems are equipped with numerous light sensors, which ensure the mobile racks can only be operated when the aisles are completely clear of materials, handling equipment, people, and stock.
Other integral safety features include:
- Trip bars, which when activated cut the power to the motors and bring the mobile rack to a controlled halt within a short distance
- Emergency stop buttons are fitted to the front of each mobile racking system, with circuit breakers that protect the electrical circuits of each rack
Our Mobile Rack Inclusions
Each mobile racking system purchased from Colby will include:
- Stronger ColbyRACK beams and uprights
- Special end frames
- Heavy-duty baseplates
- Flexible back ties, allowing the racking to sway slightly when moving
The design of mobile storage racks is different to that of conventional static pallet racking, however, when it comes to controlling light seismic conditions, there are some similarities.
Why Colby Mobile Racking?
Designed by leading Colby's leading Australian structural engineers, Colby Racking is designed to ensure safety, integrity, and compliance, meeting rigorous international structural standards – and exceed Australian standards
Our range of uprights, beams, frames, and connectors are made from guaranteed, high-quality, high-tensile steel. Smart section design including strengthening ribs and reinforcing flanges ensure outstanding safety.
Colby invests continuously in product development for reliable racking components. Better products ensure years of outstanding performance.
Colby’s Rack systems include:
- Rack uprights in a range of widths, depths, and thicknesses
- A versatile range of beam sections, with three or four-tang welded connectors
- The unique diamond-slot profile which provides a stronger and more efficient interlock between upright and beam
- Strong frame bracing
- Racking end protection for safe operation
- Front and rear upright protectors to minimise damage
Colby RackMan Certified
Our proprietary software tool, RackMan, is the ColbyRACK product performance badge of excellence. By using RackMan we can guarantee the load capacity and strength of your ColbyRACK system, protecting your staff and your products, and offering you total peace of mind. Read more >
From planning and design, right through maintenance and your annual rack inspections, Colby can provide the services you need to get the most out of your storage investment.
Mobile Rack Case Study: Oxford Cold Storage
A key feature of Oxford Cold Storage’s 11,000 square metre freezer in Melbourne is the application of mobile pallet racking, which raised the 3PL’s storage capacity within a section of the new warehouse from 5,748 pallets with double-deep racking to 7,672 pallets – an increase of 30%!